E-ISSN 2577-5669
 

Research Article 


Effect of nutrition intervention on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome at Kon Tum General Hospital, Vietnam

Hung Trong Nguyen.

Abstract
Metabolic syndrome (Mets) is a global problem today and tends to increase, it is a risk factor for cardiovascular disease, stroke and leading to death. Intervention to change lifestyle and eating habits is a good measure to improve the status of metabolic syndrome. We studied on 1039 patients diagnosed with metabolic syndrome, selected 226 patients for follow-up with interventional therapy combined with lifestyle behavior modification communication, and evaluated the effectiveness after 6 months. The rate of patients with Mets in males was 12.7%, females was 9.05%, the overall prevalence of Mets was 21.75%, the rate of Mets tends to increase with age. After the intervention, the indicators to evaluate Mets all changed in a good direction. The rate of adverse habits decreased statistically significantly compared to before the intervention. The highest efficiency index was the reduction in the proportion of people who were sedentary (64.29%), followed by the reduction in the rate of salty and fatty foods. The habits of smoking, drinking alcohol decreased slightly. The highest efficiency index was the reduction in the proportion of people with hypertension (50.28%), followed by a reduction in people with low HDL-C (35.34%). However, the percentage of waist circumference reduction has not been statistically significant. The reduction rate of Mets was 25.66%. These findings provides objective evidences for dietary and physical activity management on metabolic syndrome as an efficient intervention.

Key words: Metabolic syndrome, intervention, nutrition, Kon Tum, Vietnam.


 
ARTICLE TOOLS
Abstract
PDF Fulltext
How to cite this articleHow to cite this article
Citation Tools
Related Records
 Articles by Hung Trong Nguyen
on Google
on Google Scholar


How to Cite this Article
Pubmed Style

Hung Trong Nguyen. Effect of nutrition intervention on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome at Kon Tum General Hospital, Vietnam. J Complement Med Res. 2022; 13(2): 24-28. doi:10.5455/jcmr.2022.13.02.04


Web Style

Hung Trong Nguyen. Effect of nutrition intervention on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome at Kon Tum General Hospital, Vietnam. https://www.jocmr.com/?mno=11945 [Access: November 03, 2022]. doi:10.5455/jcmr.2022.13.02.04


AMA (American Medical Association) Style

Hung Trong Nguyen. Effect of nutrition intervention on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome at Kon Tum General Hospital, Vietnam. J Complement Med Res. 2022; 13(2): 24-28. doi:10.5455/jcmr.2022.13.02.04



Vancouver/ICMJE Style

Hung Trong Nguyen. Effect of nutrition intervention on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome at Kon Tum General Hospital, Vietnam. J Complement Med Res. (2022), [cited November 03, 2022]; 13(2): 24-28. doi:10.5455/jcmr.2022.13.02.04



Harvard Style

Hung Trong Nguyen (2022) Effect of nutrition intervention on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome at Kon Tum General Hospital, Vietnam. J Complement Med Res, 13 (2), 24-28. doi:10.5455/jcmr.2022.13.02.04



Turabian Style

Hung Trong Nguyen. 2022. Effect of nutrition intervention on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome at Kon Tum General Hospital, Vietnam. Journal of Complementary Medicine Research, 13 (2), 24-28. doi:10.5455/jcmr.2022.13.02.04



Chicago Style

Hung Trong Nguyen. "Effect of nutrition intervention on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome at Kon Tum General Hospital, Vietnam." Journal of Complementary Medicine Research 13 (2022), 24-28. doi:10.5455/jcmr.2022.13.02.04



MLA (The Modern Language Association) Style

Hung Trong Nguyen. "Effect of nutrition intervention on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome at Kon Tum General Hospital, Vietnam." Journal of Complementary Medicine Research 13.2 (2022), 24-28. Print. doi:10.5455/jcmr.2022.13.02.04



APA (American Psychological Association) Style

Hung Trong Nguyen (2022) Effect of nutrition intervention on the prevalence of metabolic syndrome at Kon Tum General Hospital, Vietnam. Journal of Complementary Medicine Research, 13 (2), 24-28. doi:10.5455/jcmr.2022.13.02.04